Friday, December 30, 2011

The Little Match Seller

Handmade Jewelry Box/Keepsake
Even though I love ribbon, and I'm absolutely in love with vintage style handmade journals, my crafting adventures started with something unusual - matches.

Growing up, I used to watch my dad creating miracles with matches. He'd light them, scrub the top with a knife, and put together ships, military tanks, jewelry boxes... One time he even made an Eiffel Tower from matches. Now, that really swept me off my feet. I'm still not quite sure where he got the idea from, but I never saw anyone doing anything similar until this day.

Now that I'm all grown, and living 7000 miles away from home, I'm trying to "copy" dad's little miracles myself. It makes me feel closer to him, it's keeping the newly established family tradition alive, and most importantly - in those moments of creating, in my own world, I get to be daddy's little girl again.

How did you start crafting? What inspires you? I would love to hear your stories.

Love,

~Ivana~


7 comments:

  1. Like you, my dad was an architect with matchsticks. It was good training for patience, thoroughness and design! My own inspiration comes from the books I read - a driving force in what I create these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, I'm a book worm myself. I love everything about books, even the way they smell. Books are such a great source of inspiration :). Thank you for stopping by. I wish an awesome new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful keepsake box! And a sweet story behind the source of your creativity. I'm also a bookworm. Where would we be without them??

    Empty On the Inside
    Dough, Dirt & Dye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed, Annie :). Thank you for stopping by and commenting. I wish you a happy and successful new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved reading this, you obviously think very fondly of your father and it's super sweet. I never thought of how I started crafting, but I did grow up watching my father make fly lures, sitting in silence concentrating and I'd do what I could to help. And my mam would make us clothes when we were little and when I grew up we use to make tons of christmas wreaths together in our basement. Come to think of it, my parents made me a crafter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awe, I love my Dad too. When I was little I remember him making candles and string art from kits. Crafts were all the rage. His mom, my Grandmother was always giving me crafts for gifts and doing crafts with me. I learned to love to make things. Thank you for reminding me of this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Sini, thank you for your comment. I'm glad you enjoyed it and figured out your parents made you a crafter :).
    @Amy, you are welcome. I think I've started to think about it because I felt home sick. I really do miss my family.

    ReplyDelete